How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home
Carbon monoxide is a common gas that’s produced whenever you burn fuel. You actually breathe in smalls amounts of CO more often than you realize, for example, any time you sit by a fire or walk by an idling car. The gas is not necessarily harmful when in an outdoor space but it’s when it becomes trapped in an enclosed space that it becomes dangerous. This has become a cause for concern among many homeowners as it can pose serious health threats to you and your family. Luckily, there are several easy steps you can take to keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The first and most simple step is buying carbon monoxide detectors. Since carbon monoxide is an odorless gas, it’s nearly impossible to recognize on your own so therefore having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is a necessity. Installing one on every floor of your home will give you peace of mind knowing you’re not breathing in copious amounts of this gas. Be sure to check and change the batteries every 6 months. Many smoke alarms today also double as a CO detector so you can protect yourself from both risks with just one device!
Aside from investing in detectors, there are several ways that you can be proactive in preventing the gas:
● Don’t leave your car running in an enclosed space, such as a garage. As mentioned, this gas becomes harmful when it’s concentrated in one area. You should also be cautious of running an automobile for too long near an open window. If it’s necessary to let your car warm up before driving, be mindful of how long it needs to run and do so in a safe manner.
● Also, generators, pressure washers, and any gasoline-powered engines should never be run in your basement or any closed space and always point the exhaust away from doors and windows.
● Schedule annual cleaning and maintenance on your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances every year. Not only is an annual furnace inspection necessary to ensure efficiency but also to check for potential CO leakage. Dirty filters or a blocked flue can cause CO to leak inside your home. Having a licensed professional clean your system will take care of this and keep your home safe.
Has it been a while since you’ve had your last heating system cleaning? Schedule a service with Al Terry Plumbing, Heating & AC today to ensure your home remains free of carbon monoxide. Our licensed technicians will clean your system, remove any debris that may be blocking vents and check to see that all parts are functioning properly. Schedule an appointment online or give us a call today at 603-485-4205!